Saturday, November 17, 2012

Script Writing Tip #1 Plan It Out

When you write a screenplay you don't just start writing, like every thing associated with film, you have to plan it out. You need to know the story before you write. You have to know how it will end. If you DON'T know how it will end, you'll end up with something like Lost and you don't know what to do with the hole you dug yourself in and your end will most likely be crap I guarantee you. You ALWAYS want to know where your story is going. Will you add in things? Will you take out others? Yes, but you still want to know where you're headed or it won't be as strong because you won't have been building up to that climax. So once you get there you need it to be good and match the story, but that's very hard without knowing what you've been building for. Just something to keep in mind.

-Sirwhovian, Out!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I do exactly what you say not to most of the time. I'll just have some idea of something I think is cool, then just try to start writing and see where I go. Maybe I should plan more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say if you want a sold story, yes you need to plan more. Especially if you're going to write a complicated, intence film like Memento.

      Delete