Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cinematography Tip #2 Placing Objects

If have only that one object or prop in the frame I say go for the rule of thirds. BUT what if you have an actor in it as well? Here's how you should position your props to make it look more natural on screen with your actor. I couldn't find a good enough picture so I took some of my own to help show you guys.

If you have a simple cup, you can place it where ever it looks natural on the screen,




Even if it's and inch away from your actors hand (unless there's a chance of knocking it over).


All that matters is how it looks on camera on on your screen. This is always going to be some trial and error here.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that you always keep in mind what you are trying to convey. If your actor is hiding behind something, obviously we're going to see more objects of things then their face. 

It's also important to know who your character is that you are dressing the set for. I recently worked on a set as a set dresser and the character was goth, so I couldn't just throw any old clothes or jewelry around the room, I had to find things that might actually be in a goth's room. 

I know this might seem obvious to you guys but you have to keep an eye out for the placing, things can look awful quick if you don't set it up right. I usually still go by the thirds, if you have a flower in one third and a person in the other, it could be pleasing to the eye if done right. Always check your work when you think you're done double check it on the camera. 


-
Sirwhovian, Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment