Monday, November 19, 2012

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid-Breakdown

I watched Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid for a breakdown as a request from Jason Martindale. If you want me to do a breakdown of one of your favorite films or one of your most hated, put it in the comments. Here's my opinion:

This movie was pretty good. Not my favorite. Definitely looked and felt like a western. They did have a few problems though.

Let's start with cinematography. It wasn't the best, but this movie isn't for the artsy camera shots, they did accomplish in making it look like a western. But one thing they screwed up on was the 180 degree rule*. It was only in one scene but it stuck out and made it confusing for a bit.

The first fight scene was between Butch and a challenger of his gang. I don't know if this fight was supposed to be funny or what because he hit him twice and he was knocked down. It just didn't seem like it was supposed to be funny but I don't know what else it could have been. It was kind of just, there.

There were some continuity and logic errors in this film too. Like how they were being chased at night by men with torches on horse back and they tracked Butch and Sundance's horses, but it was pitch black and they were running. They can't be THAT good of trackers. Or when they blow up a door on a train, the guy inside was behind a huge box before and right in front of the door after, the explosion wouldn't have made him move like that. Things of that sort happened from time to time.

I felt some of the music was out of place for that time period, things like Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head. That part didn't make it feel like a western.

I think they could have added a bit more on the back story of the characters, I felt like there was somethings that could have been included that wasn't. But I also felt like there were some parts that were added in that didn't need to be there and that didn't move the story forward.

Now the thing that bugged me the most in this film was in the middle when they were going to Bolivia to runaway and hide and to get money. There was this picture montage of the time in between them leaving and them getting to Bolivia. In that montage they did lots of time and money consuming things like get married. This part made no sense, and it added nothing to the story. They never mention their marriage later on or anything. It did not give the impression that they were on the run or needed money at all.

This movie is a western and cannot have anything else expected from it. It had it's funny moments and I find it amusing. I would recommend this but not shove it in your face. Like I said it was pretty good, not amazing, not horrible, just pretty good.


-Sirwhovian, Out!

7 comments:

  1. It's a completely average movie. It's good, but not that good. It's meh, but good enough to just be eh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now are you just saying that because I said that?

      Delete
    2. Oh, that wasn't my opinion. I was just summing up your breakdown.

      Delete
    3. You confuse me good sir. Well why don't you share your opinion?

      Delete
  2. Hmm... I'd have to watch it again. I haven't seen it in years. But I remember liking it quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would urge you to watch it with a filmmakers perspective then.

      Delete
  3. Anyone who doesn't find the script for this film a masterpiece, in concert with the acting and direction, simply isn't paying attention.

    ReplyDelete