Monday, November 12, 2012

What Film Is, A Late Night Ramble

I want to clarify what film is, not what it has become, because some people just don't know anymore.

Film is an art form. It integrates all the arts with images and music and emotion and story. It is not a way to make money. Yes it's nice if you do, but the sole purpose is to create. It is not something to just slap together, to milk everything you have out of it.

Film can be beautiful. Film can be amazing. Film can be moving.

Film these days seems to be clouded with things like Meet the parents, Christmas with the Kranks, Dinner for Schmucks, Alvin and the Chipmunks, the last three Star Wars movies. What ever happened to creativity?

Gorge Lucas had something going for him when he started the Star Wars movies. He CREATED the technology to make his films. He put so much work into them. But then what happened? Episodes 1-3. I felt nothing. The writing sucked, the acting had no emotion, and the animation? Come on! And I'm mad at him for selling his baby to Disney. Yuk. Disney is a big fat money gobbler.

Another thing that I just thought of, Hollywood. They just seem to milk things for all they've got. They find a story people will like and every movie outa' there is that same story in a different place. Again, no creativity. When a lot of filmmakers get out there and get into Hollywood or such they don't know what to make. So they make those "films" I listed above, they fall into the cycle that is those lame ass, sell out movie types.

I like films that are different. I like films that can surprise me and keep me guessing like Shutter Island. That one kept me on my toes. I like movies with beautiful cinematography like Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I like movies that make me feel something like Life is Beautiful or Hugo (I actually cried bawled actually, when they melted down the film, and then again when they found so many of his films still intact the end).

I was with a friend and his collage class who were filming a movie. One of the things I heard out of the cinematographer's mouth was, "It's good enough." NO! It is NOT good enough! You want your film to be as good as possible (also here's a hint, don't hire him. He did lighting and cinematography for the film and man did it look baaaaad). I am very picky about film, which I think is a good quality, I always want it to look good, not just think it's fine and shoot willy-nilly. If you want to be professional and roll with the big boys, make that shot look good and do your best. If you want to be a youtube channel that no one has heard of, by all means, go ahead and screw up. So for real, be picky.

Yes this is me late night ramblings about film, but it makes sense doesn't it? I'm glad you stuck through it. More sane thought out posts coming later.

-Sirwhovian, Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment